Table of Contents
Practice these breathing techniques to improve your overall well-being
By learning to master the intake and exhaling of breath, you can learn to create harmony inside your body. Some of the essential everyday Pranayama include:
1. Anulom Vilom Pranayama
Anulom Vilom improves patience, control, and focus. It also relieves a person from issues like stress and anxiety.
How to practice Anulom Vilom?
• Use your middle and index fingers of the right hand to fold towards your palm. Put your thumb on the right nostril and place your ring finger on the left nostril.• Close your right nostril with the thumb and inhale through your left nostril, until your lungs are full.
• Next, take back your thumb and close your left nostril using your ring finger.
• Exhale slowly through the right nostril.
• Now practice it in the opposite way, this time using your right nostril to inhale and the left one to exhale.
• Exhaling from the left completes one round.
• Practice as many rounds as possible by trying to keep the duration of inhalation and exhalation equal, if possible.
2. Ujjayi Pranayama
Ujjayi Pranayama calms down the nervous system, and mind and boosts psychic sensitivity. It helps people with insomnia and lowers their heart rate and blood pressure.
How to practice Ujjayi Pranayama?
• Start by closing your mouth to contract the throat (the glottis).
• Start inhaling after exhaling a short breath, slowly insync and one long unbroken inspiration.
• Then, let the air pass through your constricted throat resulting in a friction-like sound.
• Continue inhalation till there is a sense of fullness in your chest.
• Keep the inhaled air within for a few seconds.
• Now exhale naturally slowly, by keeping away from jerky or hasty movements.
3. Bharamri Pranayama
This type of Pranayama helps cure stress, lowers blood pressure, boosts good sleep by releasing cerebral tension, and soothes the nerves.
How to practice Bharamri Paranyama?
• Start by closing your mouth and creating a slight space between your teeth.
• Cover your ear with your thumbs and shut your eyes using your fingers.
• Create a sound that sounds like om while exhaling through the nose which will create a humming sound.
• Repeat this 8-10 times, and rest.