Table of Contents
How yoga improves office workers’ health?
1. Helps find relief from tired eyes
Eye strain is a prevalent issue among office workers who spend hours staring at computer screens. The 20/20 rule can alleviate this strain. Every 20 minutes, take a break and close your eyes for 20 seconds. This simple practice allows your eyes to rest and rejuvenate. Eye exercises also relieve eye tension. Begin by gazing at a point between your eyebrows, then shift your focus to the tip of your nose. Next, direct your gaze to the right and then the left. Then do palming by rubbing your hands together to generate warmth, then placing them over your closed eyes. This technique relaxes the eye muscles and provides a soothing effect.
2. Enhances posture and relieves tension
Slouching is another common consequence of desk-bound work, resulting in poor posture and tension in the shoulders and back. One effective yoga posture for correcting slouching is Talasana 2. Here’s how to perform it:
- Begin by standing tall with your feet hip-width apart.
- As you inhale, raise both hands above your head while lifting yourself up onto your toes.
- Maintain this position for a few breaths before exhaling and slowly lowering your arms with backward rotation and returning to the starting position. This movement helps in opening the chest and improving posture.
- Next, you can interlock your fingers behind your back and lift your chest upward while trying to look upward and backwards. This exercise stretches the chest muscles and promotes an upright posture.
3. Recharges and relaxes your body
Exhaustion often plagues office workers leaving them drained out. During breaks, you can engage in activities that promote relaxation. Nispanda Bhava, a yogic technique, can aid in achieving a state of deep relaxation. Here’s how to do it:
- Simply rest your back against a chair or wall, with your hands on your thighs and palms facing up.
- Close your eyes and focus on the fading sounds around you.
- Allow your mind to unwind and your body to recharge.
4. Cultivate mental clarity
Lack of focus is a common challenge faced by office workers. One effective technique to improve focus is abdominal breathing.
- Sit comfortably in your chair with your hand resting on your navel.
- As you breathe in, focus on expanding your abdomen and feel the breath filling your lower belly.
- Exhale slowly, allowing your abdomen to naturally contract.
This deep, conscious breathing calms the mind and enhances mental clarity, allowing you to stay focused and centred amidst a busy work environmen