Menstrual products for heavy bleeding
It is difficult to say which period product is best for heavy bleeding, as the choice ultimately depends on personal preference and comfort. But some options are:
• High-absorbency pads that need to be changed after every four to five hours.
• Tampons can be suitable for some, but it’s essential to choose a tampon with the appropriate absorbency level.
• Menstrual cups collect rather than absorb blood and can hold more than tampons. They are also reusable and eco-friendly.
Menstrual discs are an alternative to traditional menstrual products. As per the aforementioned study, they are best period products for heavy bleeding. But they come with their own set of pros and cons.
Advantages of using menstrual discs
* Menstrual discs can hold more blood than many tampons or sanitary pads. This makes them suitable for heavy bleeding.
* Once the disc is inserted correctly, it can be comfortable and less noticeable than tampons or pads.
* Most menstrual discs can be reused, which means there will be less wastage, says the expert.
Disadvantages of using menstrual discs
* Inserting and removing menstrual discs can be challenging for some women.
* Emptying a menstrual disc can be messier than changing a tampon or pad.
* They may be uncomfortable for some women.
The frequency of changing menstrual products during heavy bleeding varies depending on the product type, absorbency and individual flow. For tampons and pads, it’s generally recommended to change them every four hours or when they become saturated to prevent period leaks and reduce the risk of infection. Menstrual cups and discs can typically be worn for up to 12 hours before emptying, but this can vary depending on your flow, the expert tells Health Shots. It’s essential to follow the product’s instructions and monitor your flow to find out when to change it to maintain hygiene and prevent leaks.