Shenaz Treasury outlined the signs and symptoms of face blindness:
1. You fail to recognize a close friend or family member, especially when you weren’t expecting to see them. According to Shenaz, who is now an active travel blogger, she can relate to this as she takes at least a minute to register who the person is – “sometimes even a close friend I haven’t seen in a while”.
2. Confusing movie or TV characters more so than other people! Shenaz says it so happens to her that she can’t tell the difference if two characters have the same height, build and hairstyle.
3. Difficulty in recognizing neighbours, frends, co-workers, clients – people you know and who expect you to recognise them. However, Shenaz says that since she has struggled with this, she thought she was “just dumb” for not being able to identify people.
4. When someone casually says hello on the street, and you can’t recognize who they are.
5. If someone undergoes a look change or haircut alteration, it makes it harder for a person with face blindness to place them the next time. As Shenaz shares, may people with prosopagnosia use hair as a way to remember people.