Causes of back pain
Back pain can arise from various conditions –
• In our younger years (20s and 30s), everyday factors like sitting too long, lifting children or overdoing exercise can contribute to typical mechanical back pain.
• Injuries from falls can also lead to back pain, says the expert.
• Issues with intervertebral discs, which act as cushions between spinal bones, may cause discomfort when they rupture or bulge, irritating nearby nerves and causing back and leg pain.
• As we grow older, wear-and-tear conditions like degenerative disc disease and lumbar arthritis can develop, affecting different areas of the spine.
• Inflammation in the joints connecting the spine and pelvis, known as sacroiliitis, can cause pain in the low back, buttocks and upper legs.