Table of Contents
Ayurveda for diabetes
Let us find some Ayurvedic herbs that can help regulate blood sugar levels and their respective benefits:
1. Karela (Momordica Charantia)
Karela, or bitter melon, is a well-known Ayurvedic remedy for diabetes. It contains charantin, which has blood sugar-lowering effects.
- Regulates blood glucose levels: Karela contains charantin, which helps regulate blood glucose levels.
- Increases insulin sensitivity: It improves insulin sensitivity, making cells more responsive to insulin.
- Assists in weight management: By controlling blood sugar and promoting a sense of fullness, it supports weight loss efforts.
2. Daruharidra (Berberis Aristata)
Daruharidra, or Indian Barberry, has been used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat various ailments, including diabetes. It contains berberine, a compound known for its potential to improve insulin sensitivity.
- Enhances insulin sensitivity: Daruharidra contains berberine, which improves insulin sensitivity, helping cells respond better to insulin.
- Aids in weight loss: Better insulin sensitivity can lead to improved metabolism and weight loss.
- Reduces inflammation: It possesses anti-inflammatory properties that may mitigate the inflammatory response often associated with diabetes.
3. Vijaysara (Pterocarpus Marsupium)
Vijaysara, also called the Indian Kino Tree, is another valuable herb for diabetes management. It contains pterostilbene, which helps regulate blood sugar levels and improve pancreatic function.
- Lowers blood glucose levels: Vijaysara helps regulate blood glucose levels and supports healthy insulin production.
- Reduces the risk of complications: By maintaining stable blood sugar levels, it can control the risk of long-term complications associated with diabetes.
4. Meshashringi (Gymnema Sylvestre)
Meshashringi, also known as “Ram’s horn”, is closely related to Gudmar and offers similar benefits. It helps control sugar cravings and supports overall blood sugar management.
- Reduces sugar absorption: Similar to Gudmar, Meshashringi helps block sugar absorption in the intestines.
- Alleviates symptoms of diabetes: It can alleviate common diabetes symptoms such as frequent urination and excessive thirst.
- Promotes weight loss: By controlling sugar intake and symptoms, it contributes to weight management.
5. Gokshura (Tribulus Terrestris)
Gokshura, or Tribulus Terrestris, has anti-diabetic properties and can help manage diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity and reducing blood sugar levels.
- Enhances insulin function: Gokshura improves insulin function, making it more effective in regulating blood sugar levels.
- Supports kidney health: It is known for its renal benefits, which is especially crucial as kidney complications are common in diabetes.
- Boosts energy levels: Improved blood sugar control can lead to more stable energy levels.