Table of Contents
Exercises for knee strengthening
Here are 4 knee-strengthening exercises with a pillow to ease arithritis pain and stiffness:
1. Leg extensions
- Sit down at the edge of your bed and place the pillow under your thighs to support your position.
Note: You can also do it while sitting on a chair.
- Make sure your body is straight, with hands placed at the back of you on the bed and feet on the floor, hip-width apart.
- Extend your both knees together to lift your legs straight in front of you and keep your toes loosely upward.
- Hold the pose for 10 seconds, and do not lock your knees and arch your back throughout the movement.
- Exhale and lower your legs back to the starting position, and inhale when you lift them up.
- Lie down in a supine position and place your hands by your sides.
- Bend your knees and focus on breathing.
- Fold a pillow and place it between your legs.
- Push both knees towards each other, pressing the pillow.
- Hold the press for 10 seconds and then relax your knees. Do not let the pillow fall.
- Do 10 repetitions of this exercise.
3. Alternate leg extensions
- Sit at the edge of the bed and place a pillow under your legs on the bed.
- Place your feet on the floor hip-width apart.
- Keep your back straight and your arms and legs relaxed.
- Extend your right knee to lift the right leg until it’s parallel with the floor, making a 90-degree angle.
- Hold it for 10 seconds and then bring down your leg.
- Repeat the movement with your left leg.
- Remember to inhale when you bend your leg and exhale when you extend your leg.
- Complete 10-15 repetitions on each side.
4. Alternate leg lifts
- Start by lying down on your back and keep your hands by your sides.
- Place a pillow under the knees to support them.
- Stretch your right leg in front of you, making a 45-degree angle.
- Even if you are not able to raise your legs properly just yet, keep trying. Slowly and gradually you will learn it.
- Now, hold it for 10 seconds and bring it down.
- Once it’s done, lift your left leg, hold it for 10 seconds, and bring it down.
- Complete at least 10 repetitions.