Table of Contents
- 1 Healthy seeds can be good for your hair. If you have been looking for ways to combat hair loss, you can try pumpkin seeds for hair growth.
- 2 Pumpkin seeds in hair care routine
Healthy seeds can be good for your hair. If you have been looking for ways to combat hair loss, you can try pumpkin seeds for hair growth.
Receding hairline can be quite heartbreaking. You can blame your hairstyle, stress or diet for hair loss. Irrespective of the cause, no one really celebrates hair loss. So, when I started noticing my hair losing its volume, I switched to shampoo for hair loss. My mom offered help and suggested to go for pumpkin seeds for hair growth. It’s not just mom, but science also says pumpkin seeds can help with hair growth. According to a 2019 study published by the US National Library of Medicine, topical application of pumpkin seed oil, which mainly consists of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids, showed hair growth promotion.
Dr Urvi Panchal, a dermatologist and cosmetologist based in Gurugram, points out that when it comes to home remedies for maintaining healthy hair, pumpkin seeds are often overlooked. These small powerhouses are packed with essential nutrients and vitamins that can promote hair growth, combat hair loss and improve overall hair health.
Pumpkin seeds are rich in vitamins A, B and C along with micronutrients like magnesium, phosphorus, iron and copper, says the expert. Zinc, a vital mineral found in pumpkin seeds, plays a crucial role in hair growth and repair. It helps to regulate hormone levels, promotes cell division and supports protein synthesis. These processes are essential for the development of new hair follicles. Including pumpkin seeds in your diet means having zinc, so it facilitates healthier and stronger hair growth. Here are some benefits of pumpkin seeds for hair:
1. Pumpkin seeds strengthen hair structure
The omega-3-fatty acids found in pumpkin seeds are beneficial for strengthening the hair shaft and enhancing hair structure. These fatty acids moisturise the scalp, preventing dryness and irritation. By nourishing hair follicles, pumpkin seeds contribute to stronger, more resilient hair strands, reducing the likelihood of breakage and split ends, the expert tells Health Shots.
2. Pumpkin seeds combat hair loss
The phytochemical compounds in pumpkin seeds help to inhibit the production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a hormone known to contribute to hair loss. By reducing DHT levels, pumpkin seeds can help to slow down hair loss and preserve existing hair follicles.
3. Pumpkin seeds boost scalp health
You need a healthy scalp for good hair growth. Pumpkin seeds are packed with antioxidants such as vitamin E, which protect the scalp from oxidative stress and maintain scalp health, says Dr Panchal. Eating pumpkin seeds can help to combat scalp inflammation and promote optimal conditions for hair growth.
Pumpkin seeds in hair care routine
You can always eat pumpkin seeds as a tasty and healthy snack or add them to your meals.
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.
There are other ways to reap the benefits of pumpkin seeds too!
1. Pumpkin seed oil
You can find pumpkin seed oil as an ingredient in various hair care products like shampoos, conditioners and hair masks, or use it directly on the scalp for a deep conditioning treatment.
2. Pumpkin seed hair mask
• 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
• 1 tablespoon of honey
• 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
• 1/2 cup of yogurt
• Begin by grinding the pumpkin seeds in a blender until you get a fine powder.
• Mix it with yogurt and form a smooth paste.
• Add honey and coconut oil to the paste and mix well to combine all the ingredients thoroughly.
• Apply the hair mask mixture to dry or damp hair, starting from the roots and working your way to the ends.
• Gently massage the mask into your scalp, ensuring all your strands are coated.
• Leave the hair mask on for about 30 minutes to an hour. You can cover your hair with a shower cap so that it is more effective.
• Rinse off the mask using lukewarm water, followed by a shampoo and conditioner.